Monday, July 27, 2020

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce

    I had a jar of roasted red peppers in the cabinet and have been wanting to use them up.  I finally came up with the idea of making a pasta sauce with it.  After looking for inspiration from recipes online, I needed one dairy free, that I was able to come up with this.  We had it with homemade meatballs and fresh pesto.  Best part?  I incorporated more of our fresh basil from our garden.  

    This sauce is quick, easy, and vegan.  I know, I know.  All it means to me is that it's dairy free, ultimately safe for my kids to eat.  No nuts either, so that's a bonus for my daughter who also has a nut allergy.  There is little cooking involved, and it will store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to two weeks.  Fabulous!

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
  • 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 14 oz. jar of roasted red peppers, drained
  • 2 c. fresh basil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. Add olive oil to a large skillet on medium heat.  Add garlic, stir and cook for about 30 seconds.  Reduce heat to low and slowly add the tomatoes.  Stir until well combined.
  2. Season with salt and pepper.  Allow to cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until the tomatoes are bubbly.
  3. Carefully transfer the tomatoes to a food processor or blender.  Add the roasted red peppers and basil.  Puree.  Set aside to use with your favorite pasta.  Toss together when ready to eat!  Enjoy!!
Note: Save any remaining sauce in the fridge for up to two weeks in an airtight container.

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with Pesto Meatballs and Vegan Pesto Pasta

0 comments:

Post a Comment