Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Slow Cooker Italian Beef

   
    Normally when I make this recipe I will use a chuck roast and let it cook all day long.  I made a quick switch of dinner the other night, so I used what I had on hand, stew meat already pre-cut.  I used the same seasonings that I would for when I make the chuck roast, so keep in mind that the cuts of beef are versatile.  The stew meat is still something that I would suggest to cook on low for at least four hours to make the meat tender.  The chuck roast, however you would need to cook all day.  Quick tip, set it overnight, then all you'd have to do for dinner the next day is shred the beef and warm it.

    This recipe is extremely easy and quick, just a dump and go recipe until the meat is cooked fork tender.  I use a variety of Italian spices, 1/2 jar of banana pepper rings, and French onion soup mix.  

This recipe yields 6 -8 servings.

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2.5 to 3 lbs. stew meat or chuck roast
  • 1 packet of French onion soup mix
  • 1/2 jar and juice of mild banana peppers
  • 2 tsp. oregano
  • 2 tsp. basil
  • salt and pepper

Directions:

  1. In a large skillet or in your slow cooker (if you have this) feature all the oil and heat on medium high heat.  Brown the meat.
  2. Once the meat is browned, add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker.  Set the slow cooker for 4 to 8 hours on low depending on the cut of meat you are using.  
  3. The juice from the meat will be thin.  If you like it a little thicker, make a cornstarch slurry and turn the slow cooker on high to thicken the sauce. 
Serve on hoagie style rolls or round rolls with your choice of cheese (provolone is best), and alongside fries, coleslaw or a pasta salad!  Enjoy!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment