Saturday, April 25, 2020

Giving Back

Here in Illinois we're going on about 5 weeks of the stay-at-home order.  There are days that are EXTREMELY challenging and a constant struggle.  We are all facing these days.  We are all in this together!  Before this started isolating myself was a way for me to feel safe, but I had a few places, like the library, church, or going out to lunch with my parents. I could go out into the community and still feel safe.  About one year ago, I was diagnosed with PTSD, and self isolation is my thing.  Having this forced isolation, and not being able to go to the places where I would feel safe, other than my home, makes some days longer than others.  It's my reality, and I am sure than many of you are struggling along with me.  So, we decided what's better to keep us positive and focused on the good things in life, but to give back to our community!

One way our family has decided to support the community safely, is bringing lunch to our local police department on behalf of our church.  Yes, the lunch and delivery was organized by out church, but we were extremely honored to be asked to participate in our church's mission to serve the community.  We had the easy jobs of making a "Thank You" sign, picking up the lunches, and dropping them off.  I say this was easy, but quite rewarding!  Once we were leaving the police department and seeing how appreciative they were for this simple task, it brought a fulfilling feeling in my heart.  God is good!  The police and all first responders are incredibly important during this time.  They are out in the community doing what they do best, but also put themselves at a higher risk for being in contact with this disease.  If you are out in a grocery store and you see a first responder, stop and take a minute to say, "Thank you!" 

Another way our family has been serving our community is creating small cards for medical professionals.  We wrote notes of thanks and drew some pictures to hopefully put a little smile on their faces, again thanking them for all that they do!  They are fighting what seems to be a never ending battle, and put themselves at risk each and every day.  Our medical professionals are doing everything they possibly can to save lives and fight this disease.  Again, my heart felt fulfilled being able to show our appreciation for these front line workers. 



If you're feeling down, lonely, isolated, anxious, or anything else, think of a way you can give back, serve your local community.  Reach out to your local church, community groups on Facebook, or simply ask around, and I'm sure you will find a way to serve and give back whichever way works best for you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment