Friday, April 24, 2020

The Beautiful Strangers by Camille Di Maio

Who else loves the mystic of Hollywood during the 40's - 60's?  This book caught my eye from the very beginning, and after reading the jacket cover, I was hooked!

The book is a historical fiction story about a famous hotel in California, the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego during the late 1800's and into the late 1950's.  The story is based on a real life person, Kate Morgan (of the late 1800's), and her "life" at the hotel. 

Early on in the book, we are introduced to other characters that are fictional including a different Kate Morgan (1950's) and her family, especially her grandfather George.  The story continues to unfold for 1950's Kate as she's sent on a quest from George to find the "beautiful stranger." 

The 1950's Kate has grown up and works in San Francisco, but this quest sends her to the Hotel del Coronado.  Taking a leap of faith and an extremely risky journey with little money after pawning her grandmother's wedding ring, she travels to the hotel with the few clues that her grandfather gave her to discover the mystery of the "beautiful stranger." 

When asked to share my favorite genre to read, it's hard for me to pick just one.  I really enjoy reading historical fiction, in particular from the 1940's and 1950's.  I loved this book and was bummed that I was able to read through it as quickly as I did, just about two days, but I couldn't put it down.  I just didn't want it to end.  Camille Di Maio creates and develops her characters and the story in such a way, that it all grabbed and enticed me from the beginning.  The book was hard to put down because I couldn't wait to learn more about the clues Kate was gathering for her grandfather, but also reading about a few of Hollywood's greats like Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon.  Di Maio brings the actors into the story while Kate is spending her time working at the hotel during the filming of Some Like it Hot. 

I hope if you have the opportunity to read this book, you find it as delightful and engaging as I did!  I highly recommend it!

This entry was posted in

0 comments:

Post a Comment