Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Spring Pea Risotto

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=13c8sUW1u_2XWBILR5-PVBDr2BvAgS2iUThere are so many people who shy away from making risotto.  NOT JUDGING by any means!!!  I'm here to tell you, that it's SUPER easy, just a bit time consuming.  Lots of stirring, water/chicken broth adding, and waiting...BUT SO WORTH it!!!  The recipe below is for a spring pea risotto, but feel free to experiment and add just about any veggie, pesto cheese.  Some of our favorites include:

  • asparagus, broccoli, zucchini and summer squash, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms
  • basil pesto, sun-dried tomato pesto
  • garlic and herb goat cheese, garlic and herb cream cheese
David doesn't like mushrooms, so I don't use them for when I make risotto for us, but not too long ago I made a mushroom risotto for my parents during this Stay-at-Home journey.  In their pantry they also had a can of cream of mushroom soup.  I decided to add that too.  I've never added a creamy soup before, I usually just use heavy whipping cream or half and half, but since they had it, and.I was trying to make meals for them using what they had on hand, I figured give it a shot.  Since adding the creamy soup I cut back on the half and half, but the risotto turned out to be pretty tasty! So who knows?  Next time I make risotto and I happen to have a creamy soup on hand I may try it again.  

If you're on a budget, like many of us are, Arborio rice can be pricey.  I've found a pretty good substitute for Arborio, that's a LOT cheaper...Calrose rice.  I cook it the same as I would Arborio when making risotto and since it's a short grain, starchy rice it's a perfect replacement for Arborio and will save you a few dollars.

You'll come to learn that throughout my recipes I honestly don't use a lot of measurements.  I cook mostly by taste and look or consistency.  Mostly by taste though.  In my recipes, like this one, I will give ranges of ingredients and I'll explain further in the directions.  For this recipe in particular, I suggest 2 cups of Arborio rice, when in reality, when I make risotto, I pour about two cups of the Arborio rice into a cereal bowl until it's time to add to the pot.  I then use the same cereal bowl to measure out the water or stock.  Hey, don't judge...it's how I cook.  But not to worry, I walk you through the steps, and share how I do it the way that I do.

So without further adieu...

Spring Pea Risotto!



Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp butter and olive oil plus 1 tbsp butter
  • half of medium onion, diced
  • 1 tbsp diced or minced garlic
  • 2 cups Arborio Rice, pour into a cereal bowl big enough to hold about 2 cups
  • 1 cup white wine
  • several cups of chicken stock or water, you will use the bowl used for the rice, and fill up the same amount of water or stock to add to the rice 3 or 4 times depending on the softness of your rice
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
  • 1 6oz pack of herbed goat cheese, 4 oz of herbed cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup parmesan
  • salt and pepper
I'm not promoting any products, but this is what I use for my risotto, and since we are on a budget we shop mostly at Aldi.

Directions:

  1. Add 2 tbsp butter and olive oil to pan to melt better.  Sauté diced onions and garlic for 5 minutes, until slightly brown.  Season with a little salt and pepper.  
  2. Add rice  to the pan and stir to combine.  Allow the rice to brown slightly, this will only take 2 to 3 minutes.  While this the rice is browning, fill the bowl you used for the rice now with water or chicken stock.  I used water for this recipe.
    Steps 1 -3
  3. Add wine, and stir to combine.  Wine will cook down and be absorbed by the rice.  
  4. Once most of the wine has been absorbed, add one bowl of water to the pan. 
    Step 4
  5. Stir to combine.  You will need to stir often so the rice doesn't stick to the bottom.  You may also want to season a bit more with salt and pepper.  Fill up the bowl again with water or stock and add to the pan once most of the previous bowl of water has absorbed. 
    Step 5
  6. Add the next bowl of water to the pan.  Stir to combine.  Continue to stir periodically.  The water will continue to absorb and the rice will continue to soften.  
  7. You will need to add at least one more bowl of water to the pan.  Taste your rice to check for doneness, if it's soft or not.  If yes, your done adding water or stock.  Just continue to cook and stir for the water to absorb.  
  8. Once the water is pretty much absorbed, add the half and half and cheeses.  Stir to combine.  Once the half and half has been absorbed and the cheese melted, add the frozen peas and turn heat down to simmer.  Allow to finish cooking and thicken, about 5 minutes. Taste again and adjust seasonings if necessary. 
    Spring Pea Risotto

    This recipe will serve 4 to 6 people depending on what you are serving along with your risotto.  We usually have a sauteed or breaded chicken breast, and when we want to splurge, New York Strip.  A nice Caesar salad and crusty bread is also a nice compliment to your risotto.  

    I truly hope you find this recipe easy to recreate!  I can't wait to hear what your risotto creations are!

    Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment