Thursday, May 21, 2020

Daughter of Moloka'i Book Review



Has anyone read this yet?  I finished it last week.  I read it through a combination of audio book as well an on my Kindle.  I do have to admit that I did not read the first book, Moloka'i, which is now on my list, even though I'm reading them in reverse order.  Not having read the first book, I really was not "missing" anything, or wondering what the book is all about.  While it would have been smart to read through the first book first, the author did a tremendous job of developing his character and providing a balance between Asian and American cultures.  
Daughter of Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

As the book title eludes, the book was about the daughter of the original character from the first book.  We meet Ruth, who took us through her journey of adoption while exploring the story of her origin, yet staying true to her family.  As I pointed out above, Brennert demonstrated a balance between Hawaiian and Japanese cultures of the evolution of our American culture being shaped by World War II.  

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, mainly because I love to read historical fiction novels. Brennert provides detailed accounts of the hardships the Japanese experienced when coming from Hawaii to the contiguous states, mainly California right before the Great Depression and through World War II.  While travel at that time was difficult for many ethnicities, Brennert took us on the journey of Ruth, being a adopted at the age of 5 in Hawaii, being raised on a strawberry farm, marriage, and reunion with her birth mother, Rachel.  

I sincerely hope you enjoy reading this book as much as I did.  I've read many other historical fiction books, but never any that have provided such detailed accounts of the life of Japanese and their lives during the war living in America.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment