Monday, May 4, 2020

What's your "new normal?"

I don't know about you, but sometimes I feel like we are all extras in a remake of the movie Groundhog Day.  Remember when we looked forward to the weekends, looking forward to Fridays...TGIF!  Lately it seems as if each day meshes together, and I often struggle with which day of the week it actually is. Wait, it's Monday again?  Here's a good analogy, we are like hamsters on a wheel going around and around and not going anywhere.  I was on the phone with my mom earlier giving her a rundown of what everyone was doing.  Michael finished his work for the morning and went out to cut the grass, Nicky and Matthew were playing, Emma was doing her school work, and David went to the store.  "You know, a normal Monday for us," I said.  What...WHAT???  This is a normal Monday?  Our "normal" Mondays used to consist of all of the kids at school and David at the office.  Those Mondays seem so far away in our past! 

Now, our "normal" Mondays include some of the same things, the kids doing their school work through eLearning, David at the office (in our bedroom), and me?  I'm working on my blog, doing housework, cooking, or reading.  Have you wondered what life will become after this pandemic is under control and the stay at home orders are lifted?  The kids have so many questions that we wish we could answer, but unfortunately we cannot.  I'm sure you've heard many of the same...When can we see our families?  When can we see our friends?  Will we ever go back to school?  When can we go out and do things?  When this is all over, can we go out to dinner? What will happen with graduation?  THAT'S A HARD ONE TO SWALLOW!

Emma is in 8th grade this year.  Out of all four of the kids, she misses school the most.  She is also our most avid and conscientious student.  Emma works very hard and always goes above and beyond.  She doesn't really show it, but I can tell she's bummed about not having an "official" graduation ceremony.  Our school district is doing everything they possibly can to bring the graduation and thrill of the 8th grade year to the students.  It's not the same, but I can tell you, we are going to do everything we can to make this as special as possible for Emma.  She and everyone graduating this year deserves just that. 

As far as some of the other questions from the kids, we answer them as honestly and forthright as we know how.  We do our best to FaceTime our families so the kids can see their grandparents and vice versa.  We let the kids know that the stay at home order is meant to keep them safe, and assure them that we will all be together again soon.  They are able to see their friends through Google Meets during their school work for now, but soon will see everyone again. 

Undeniably this is a hard time, and we are all dealing with it as we know how.  While some questions remain unanswered, we have to have faith that all we will one day be able to come together and rejoice this challenging time has ended.  What will our "new normal" look like?  No one knows.  One thing I can be sure of though, is with having my family with me I can get through anything. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment