Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Avocado Toast



    I started making Avocado Toast last year sometime.  My daughter and I love it!  We are also huge fans of guacamole, and normally when I buy avocados, I use them to make guacamole and not think until after the fact about making avocado toast.  When making the Avocado Toast, I would normally slice the avocados into thin strips and fan onto the toasted bread.  Sprinkle a little of the ever popular "everything bagel seasoning" on top, scramble up some eggs, and call it breakfast.  Since I have begun making the avocado toast as it's pictured above, I will not go back to my old ways.  😂

    What's so spectacular about this version?  LIME!  I peel and dice the avocados, mash up with a fork, add some salt and pepper, and the juice of a fresh lime.  It gives the avocado some zing, and makes it that much more delicious!  

    Another aspect of this dish that is so lovable?  It's a quick go-to breakfast idea when you don't have a lot of time in the mornings.  While the bread is in the toaster oven, I'm getting the avocado prepped and getting the eggs ready to scramble.  I can generally get that taken care of before my toast is ready.  Quickly scramble the egg and mash the avocado, spread the avocado onto the toast, sprinkle with the everything bagel seasoning, serve with the eggs, and you're done!  I will add that the eggs are optional.  The toast itself can be filling.

    Now, before we get to the recipe, let's talk about the bagel seasoning quickly.  I am a huge fan of the "Everything But the Bagel Seasoning" from Trader Joe's.  When I shopped there more regularly, it was always on my list.  Lately I've been trying to limit my trips to any grocery store, and Aldi is our frontrunner.  Luckily enough, Aldi also has an everything bagel seasoning that is amazing, just like the TJ's version.  You will not be able to tell the difference.  I'm not telling you to buy one or the other, just some helpful advice if you're on a budget.

Ingredients:

  • two pieces of wheat bread, toasted
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 2 eggs, scrambled
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • salt and pepper
  • juice from one lime
  • Everything Bagel Seasoning
  • fresh fruit on the side

Directions:

  1. Toast bread at your favorite setting.
  2. While the bread is toasting, slice avocado in half, remove pit.  Score the flesh with a knife to a diced cut.  Scrape flesh into a small mixing bowl with salt and pepper and juice from one lime.  Mash with a fork.  Set aside.
  3. Crack eggs into a small mixing bowl.  Add 2 tbsp milk and salt and pepper.  Whisk until well combined.  Add butter to a small skillet on medium heat.  Once butter has melted add the eggs.  Scramble using a spatula, gently pulling eggs to the middle until cooked.
  4. Remove toast from the toaster oven.  Spread avocado on the toast and sprinkle everything bagel seasoning.  Serve with the eggs and fruit.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment