Friday, July 24, 2020

Baked Ham, Turkey, and Cheese Sandwiches

    Have you ever had one of those days when what you planned for dinner, just didn't work out?  This meal was a result from one of those days.  Lately, I've been doing the grocery shopping for three households: ours, my parent's and David's parents.  I'm able to go shopping for my parents and David's parents at Mariano's, but we usually shop at Aldi for ours.  This week there was a lot to get, so I had to split my shopping days into two instead of one, therefore I didn't get the things I had planned on for dinner, hot dogs and Velveeta.  We also didn't have milk for the mac and cheese.  Now what?  I improvise.  What do we have on hand that I can make?  Burger buns, ham lunchmeat, sliced and shredded cheeses (dairy and dairy free), cream cheese, oat milk and half and half.  I used the cream cheese and half and half to make one version of the mac and cheese, then the oat milk and dairy free cheese to make the other.  Next, I made ham and cheese sandwiches, spread garlic butter on the top of the buns, and baked in the oven until the cheese melted and and the tops browned.

    Don't underestimate yourself!  If this ever happens to you, think through what you have on hand and be creative!  Your kids will love it, or even better...get them to come up with ideas with you!  The process becomes so much more fun!!



Ingredients:

  • burger buns
  • turkey and ham lunchmeat
  • assorted sliced cheeses (I used provolone and colby, as well as dairy free for separate sandwiches)
  • 2 tsp garlic powder and dried parsley
  • 2 tbsp dairy free butter

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Spray two separately baking dishes with cooking spray.  Use one for dairy and the other for non-dairy versions.
  3. Line baking dishes with the bun bottoms.  Top with ham and turkey lunchmeat.  1-2 slices each.  Top with a slice of cheese.  Place on burger bun tops.  
  4. Combine butter, garlic powder and parsley.  Spread evenly on each top.  Bake in the oven until heated through, the cheese is melted and the buns are a little brown.  Depending on your oven this could be 20-25 minutes.
  5. Serve warm!  Enjoy!

Dairy Free Version


Dairy Free Version

0 comments:

Post a Comment