Monday, May 25, 2020

Easy Tomato Soup

Easy Tomato Soup

    If you're like me, you grew up on Campbell's Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  I remember those days fondly when my mom would heat up the soup with a can of milk added and one of her delectable Kraft American Cheese grilled cheese sandwich cut into four triangles.  How many of you dipped your grilled cheese into your soup?  I know I did, and still do to this day!!  I had a taste for tomato soup the other day and decided to make my own.  I've upgraded quite a bit from the days of canned soup to create this quick and easy version of tomato soup.  It's easy enough to put together before lunch and be ready to enjoy within 30 minutes.  Feel free to make yourself a grilled cheese to bring you back to your childhood!!

 Easy Tomato Soup

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, grated
  • 4 oz. tomato paste
  • 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, then fill can with water
  • 2 tsp oregano, dried
  • 2 tbsp basil, dried
  • salt and pepper

Directions:

  1. Heat olive oil in a medium size stock pot.  After onions, garlic, oregano and basil.  Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Once onions become translucent, add tomato paste.  Stir to combine with onions and garlic.  Allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.  
  3. Add diced tomatoes, stir to combine.  Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and can of water.  Adjust salt and pepper accordingly. 
  4. Bring soup to a bowl.  Reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.  Your soup is now ready to enjoy!!
In the picture below I included beef broth, which can be used instead of water for more flavor as well as half and half to make the soup creamy.  In the recipe above I did not include those, but feel free to add.




0 comments:

Post a Comment