Friday, June 5, 2020

Easy Beef and Rice Burritos

    
    For the last few months I've been grocery shopping for my family, my parents and my in-laws once a week.  During this time, i've also been preparing meals for my parents by either cooking at their house after a morning of shopping or at my house and dropping them off later in the week.  In either case, they are often freezer ready meals for them to have later in the week or that month.  In addition to that, I put together a meal plan for them two to three weeks at a time.  My parents' days are often consumed with doctor appointments, this gives them a respite from figuring out what to have for dinner.  Now, in the morning, they can pull out whatever is on the menu that night for dinner.  It may sound as if I'm enabling my parents, but this is my way of helping them how I can, when I can.  For most meals, they have to make rice or pasta, a salad or a veggie to go along with what I've made in advance, or even sometimes they have to grill burgers, steaks, chicken, or even fish, and they will pull out the risotto I've made for them from the freezer.  I think they are enjoying this just as much as I do, because they enjoy my cooking!  

    This is just one of the meals I've made for them recently, easy beef and rice burritos.  Basically I prepared the ground beef as if I were making tacos, cooked the rice, added them together, added some shredded cheese and wrapped the mixture in large tortillas to make the burritos.  I rolled each one them individually in foil to be ready for the freezer.  Don't get me wrong, these can most definitely be enjoyed right after you make them, or prepare enough for both the day you make them and to have at a later time.  I also want to share that you can add beans, green chilis, onions, and/or tomatoes/salsa to your mixture before freezing them.  Add these to your beef while you're cooking it.  If you plan on serving these the night of, feel free to have other items such as lettuce, diced tomatoes, guacamole, and sour cream to add before rolling the burritos.  Do not add these things if you plan on freezing your burritos.

Burritos wrapped in foil and ready for the freezer.


Easy Beef and Rice Burritos 

Recipe makes 6 burritos

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1.5 lbs ground beef
  • 1 c. prepared rice
  • 3/4 c. shredded cheese
  • 6 large flour tortillas
  • 1 tbsp each of chili powder, cumin, paprika
  • 1 tsp each of garlic and onion powders
  • 3/4 c. salsa, can be homemade or from a jar
  • salt and pepper

Directions:

  1. Heat a large skillet with olive oil.  Once your pan is ready, add the ground beef.  Add all of the spices and seasonings, including salt and pepper.  Adjust accordingly.  While you are browning the beef, prepare the rice.  The rice can always be prepared in advance, and burritos are a great use up for leftover rice.
  2. Depending on the type of beef you have, you may need to drain it once it's browned.  Once drained, add the salsa to the ground beef.  Stir to combine.
  3. By this time, the rice should be cooked.  Add the beef to the beef.  Stir all together.
  4. Have your tortillas ready to roll with your beef and rice mixture.  If you are serving these burritos on the night you make them, feel free to have any of the other typical add-ins to burritos to roll all together such as lettuce, diced tomatoes, guacamole, and sour cream.  If you are planning on freezing the burritos, just fill with beef mixture and shredded cheese.
  5. Place a tortilla on a flat surface, add about 1/2 to 3/4 c. of beef mixture to the center of the tortilla.  Top with shredded cheese.  To roll the tortillas, fold in the sides, take the bottom end, side of the tortilla closest to you, fold over the mixture and sides, tuck under the mixture and roll up.  I'm attaching a link from YouTube on how to roll a burrito in case you're unsure.
  6. You're ready to serve!  If you're planning on freezing the burritos, wrap each burrito in foil.  To reheat your burritos at another time, remove from the freezer to defrost.  Once defrosted, heat in a 400 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.  Since they are wrapped in foil, you can place them directly in the oven.  Remove from foil and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment