Sunday, June 21, 2020

French Silk Pie



    Now tell me, doesn't that look good?  One night during dinner, we got on the subject of pies.  A few days before I had made an apple pie using up the apples we get with the free lunches from the school district.  David and I started reminiscing of our high school and early adult lives frequenting Baker's Square and having ____ (fill in the blank) pie a la mode.  My go to pie choices were cherry pie (warmed) a la mode or French Silk.  David and I were trying to see how we could make a French Silk dairy free.  This one is not, but don't worry.  I made it on a weekend when the kids weren't home.  Yes, two of them got to enjoy it when they came home.  

    Because I am focused on quick and easy dishes, this pie is no different.  I should also mention that I am NOT a baker.  Emma usually has that role in our family.  She's amazing at breakfasts and cakes.  It's her thing.  Me?  I'd rather cook, but when you have a taste for French Silk, and know you can make it homemade, you go for it!  This pie is made with chocolate pudding and wait for it...a refrigerated pie crust.  Of course you can definitely make your own crust and filling, but hey...this is more my speed of baking.  😁  I did make homemade whipped cream from heavy whipping cream, and shaved the chocolate pieces on top.

Ingredients:

  • 1 refrigerated pie crust, allow it to sit out of the fridge for about 10 minutes before unrolling it
  • 1 3.9 oz box chocolate pudding, this can be the instant or cook and serve
  • 1 8 oz. carton of heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbsp powdered sugar
  • 1/4 piece of a Hershey's chocolate bar, shaved

Directions:

  1. Prepare crust according to package directions.  Allow to cool before adding pudding to the baked crust.
  2. Prepare pudding according to package directions.  Once prepared, pour into the cooled, baked crust.  Set aside.
  3. In a chilled bowl, pour the carton of heavy whipping cream.  Add vanilla and powdered sugar.  Granulated sugar can be used, but this may make the whipped cream a bit grainy.  Beat either with your stand mixer or hand mixer on medium for one minute.  Increase speed to medium high and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.  
  4. Delicately spread the whipped cream over the chocolate pudding.  Using a vegetable peeler (it's what I had on hand), shave the chocolate onto the whipped cream.  
The French Silk is now ready to enjoy!  Trust me, it's very difficult to refrain from eating this in one sitting.  Should you have any leftover, be sure to keep it in the refrigerator.

0 comments:

Post a Comment